2 March 2011

Day 1: Clogheen - Newcastle

Dazzling sunshine, the sharp scent of pine, rutted tracks and thinly frozen puddles marked the beginning of Day One.

Lucy the Goat, Cara the Dog and I hiked from a mountain pass called ‘The Vee’ near Clogheen, along a way-marked trail - the Munster Way - to Newcastle.

Following the northern flanks of the Knockmealdown Mountains, our hiking consisted of deserted forest trails, full of bird song and an occasional very startled deer. The only person we met while actually hiking today was an elderly man, who upon seeing us approaching, dashed back to his car to snatch his walking stick, which he then kept quite close until we passed!


The day started out, hopefully as it will continue, with a chance random encounter from a local man... As I was pulling on my boots, Eddie drove past slowly at about three miles an hour, before reversing back up the road to us. Once he'd established they were my animals tied to a roadside gorse bush and that I didn't know any O'Sullivan's from Kenmare, he told me I couldn't leave my jeep where it was, as I'd return to find the four wheels lifted from it thanks to tinkers, so I took up his offer of parking it beside the sheep-dip pen on his farm.


Stiles and fences don't seem a problem to Lucy thankfully.
No amount of dragging or coaxing will persuade her to cross, but I've discovered once Cara and I cross a stile and leave her behind she'll scamper over to join us lively enough. I'm finding that goats, like one or two people I know, can be quite stubborn!




We're going to have to make more progress from now onwards, otherwise I'm going to have to hire a manager for Outdoors Ireland, I'll be away from Killarney for so long! Two weeks I can see easily turning into three or four weeks!


Upon arriving at Olive's Glasha Farmhouse B&B we were treated to straw, silage, water, an incredible four course meal and a bottle of red wine accordingly!

No comments:

Post a Comment