5 December 2013

Business Blog - Step 13

A big chunk of time has passed since my last business blog post. Things have been nicely busy; neither massively hectic, nor particularly quiet.

We have been a little understaffed this past summer and lost some bookings due to it. I'm working to get our team back to normal spec and also up-skilling all of us; with both in-house training and external qualifications. Personally I'm working towards MIA Assessment and Kayak Instructor Course Provider over the coming twelve months.

Our Killarney operation is going strong and also going into year nine! Our Galway operation has really nice potential and is going into year three. I'm planning on focusing my attention on these two operations for the foreseeable future.

This means that our Bantry Bay Kayaking and Limerick City Kayaking; while available for group bookings; are somewhat parked for now. I don't want to spread ourselves too thin and sacrifice quality, and I also don't want to get stuck into a huge bank loan in order to do a large scale west coast expansion!

Our Burren Bike Tours went well this summer, so we will be running Killarney National Park Bike Tours next year as well. These are a brilliant tour, lovely to run and really enjoyed by our clients...

I've been trying to cover most bookings plus office work myself these past few months and it's just now I'm getting a chance to asses our past year and make some plans and changes.

It's always the constant question of whether I should tread water trying to simply stay on top of work; or invest more heavily which will allow me to step back and really develop the business. Think I'll be going for the business development option from the spring onwards...

I want to really set our reputation as a quality training school, delivered by hugely experienced and well qualified instructors; plus guiding tourists to a high level of excellence.

I have two weeks to kick ass in terms of stock checking, ordering new gear and begin setting up a couple of new packages. Then Christmas, with about three Mountain Skills Courses between now and then.

Here Are Some Of The Best Photos We Got Over The Past Year

Fingers crossed for some snow and ice conditions in the MacGillycuddy Reeks this Jan/Feb, which will allow us to offer some Winter Mountaineering Days...

That about wraps up the past year at Outdoors Ireland! Nathan

No comments:

Post a Comment